I’m not actually a regular moviegoers. I only go to the movies when there’s a film I want to watch. Yesterday, I watched “The Avengers” at Shay Saung Cinema at 3:30 PM. Of course, I went alone since I have nobody to go with me. Actually, I rarely ask people to go with me to cinema for reasons which are mentioned below. I was planning to watch it next week with my friend, but after I got hired for the translator job, I decided to watch it before I start my new job, in case I don’t get the chance to watch it. The movie was really great but I didn’t get a chance to enjoy it due to a human chatterbox sitting next to me. This is not the first time I get frustrated at the cinema. I think the only time I ever get to enjoy a movie without any interruption was when I was watching “Public Enemies” and “Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallow: Part.1″. I usually watch the movies in the mornings at 10 AM from the upper balcony because there are fewer people there. I like to sit in the very first row to avoid watching from behind the heads of tall people. But, when a movie is a blockbuster hit, no matter what time I watch or how much I pay for the front row ticket, people still managed to annoy me and leave me fuming when the movie ended.
So, I’ve decided to make a list of the types of Myanmar moviegoers I often saw at the cinemas. Who knows, you might be one of these twenty types.
- People who watch without uttering a single word through the whole movie (e.g. me)
- People who pay respect to the national flag by getting up from the seat and stand until the national anthem ends (e.g. me)
- People who pay half respect to the national flag by getting up from the seat and stand for a few seconds before sitting down again while the national anthem hasn’t ended yet
- People who don’t pay any respect to the national flag at all
- People who come to the cinema on time (e.g. me)
- People who don’t come to the cinema on time and pass in front of other people watching the movies
- People who make crunching sounds while eating sunflower seeds
- People who eat sunflower seeds and other snacks and throw the trash on the floor
- People who eat sunflower seeds and other snacks and put all the trash in a plastic bag (e.g. me)
- People who bring crying babies and children who can’t sit still
- People who turn their phones off or put them in silence mode while the movie is playing
- People who don’t turn their phones off and talk loudly on the phone while the movie is playing
- People who ask about what’s happening in the movie to the people sitting next to them
- People who talk to other people about subjects unrelated to the movies while the movie is playing
- People who like giving comments or gossiping about the actors/actresses/co-actors while the movie is playing (e.g. he’s so handsome, that guy is an idiot, this movie is terrible, etc)
- People who mimic the dialogues to practice their English speaking skills (e.g. Captain America says: Get your suit on! , Moviegoer repeats: Get your suit on!)
- People who play mp3/mp4 players while the movie is playing
- People who say hush (or shoo in the Myanmar language) to quiet down other people
- People who yell at others why can’t they watch with their mouth shut (e.g. me)
- People who can’t help imaging horrible things they like to do to those annoying freaks (e.g. me)
Btw, Shae Saung cinema really sucks. The movie is too dark. I prefer Naypyidaw Cinema.